Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Yummy Fruit Smoothie

Is it just me or has juicing become a thing lately? I feel like I see a new juice bar in LA at least once a week. I get it. We're in the era of fitness. People want the most convenient and coolest way to stay healthy.   And honestly, let's face it...sipping on your entire day's worth of fruits and veggies out of a cute plastic cup definitely beats awkwardly chomping on an apple during lunch.
But really, has anyone here ever used a juicer before? Do you have any idea how annoying it is to clean those monstrous machines? I think the average juicer's size and complexity is what turns people away from using it regularly. Bad for us, good for trendy new juicing shops.
My parents actually invested in one of those Jack LaLanne juicers about a decade ago. At first, it was awesome. We were juicing everything in sight. Weight was being lost, and health was rearing its head. But unfortunately, just like every other impulsive TV infomercial purchase, our juicer was retired after a few short months. This is sad though, because I really do like the idea of juicing and I wish we kept up with it.  So if anyone has a simpler solution to juicing which doesn't involve taking apart and cleaning a Rube Goldberg type apparatus, please let me know! In the mean time, I'll stick to smoothies.

Let's begin!

Ingredients: (Makes 2-3 servings)

  • 1 large banana
  • Fresh strawberries (I used about 10)
  • 1 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1 cup frozen pineapple
  • 1/4 cup milk 
  • 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 Tablespoon honey
  • 3-5 ice cubes 

Directions:

Combine all of your ingredients (except ice cubes) in a blender

 Blend away!

After 2-3 minutes of blending, open lid and add ice cubes, then blend for one additional minute
Enjoy!!

Tip: Feel free to mix and match any fruits you like, or even add some greens for an extra health kick!

No comments:

Post a Comment