Monday, June 3, 2013

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Do you know what makes me a little sad? The fact that I haven't dressed up for Halloween in nearly 10 years. For the past decade, my Halloween has been: get really excited that it's almost Halloween, think about a costume, never decide on a costume, stay home and watch Hocus Pocus. In that order. Every. Single. Year.
But it wasn't always like this. I used to dress up and go trick-or-treating all the time! I loved dressing up in cheap thrift store costumes, dousing my face with silver glitter, and going from house to house collecting candy.  Maybe the reason I don't do that anymore is because the definition of Halloween has changed a little for people my age. I mean, I think it would be a little socially frowned upon for a 20something-year-old to mix in with the kiddos and go door to door yelling, "trickortreeeeaaat!" (even though I think I can probably pull it off). Or maybe I'm just not hanging out with the right people? These days, all the cool kids usually dress up in something outrageous and go to cool-kid house parties or gallivant around WeHo.
What am I doing with my life?

Sometimes I wish it were Halloween season all year long. I love the Fall. The weather, the decorations, the mood, everything. But since it can't be October all the time, I settle for making these cookies at least once a month. Whoever thought to combine pumpkin and chocolate chips was a genius. Every time I take these to work, they are gone within a matter of hours and I'm constantly getting requests to make more.
This recipe comes from George Duran at Food Network.

Let's begin!!

Ingredients: (Makes over 35 cookies)
  • 3 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon cloves
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
  • 12oz bag (2 cups) milk chocolate chips (don't use semisweet)
  • Parchment paper
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Tip: Do not use wax paper or IT WILL burn.


In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Set aside.
 Using a mixer, beat the butter until smooth


Slowly add the sugars to the butter and mix until the mixture is light and fluffy. Then add eggs, one at a time, and mix some more

Mix in pumpkin puree and vanilla extract

Add the flour mixture to the batter, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix until everything is combined

 Using a spoon, stir in chocolate chips.  Scoop one tablespoon of dough onto a cookie sheet about 1 inch apart and bake for 15-20 minutes


 Try them yourself and share with friends!

 Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment